Big rigs, semi’s, and tractor trailers are all names for large trucks. The Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) defines a large truck as a truck weighing over 10,000 pounds. The fact is that many large trucks reach up to 80,000 pounds when fully loaded. Because truck crashes are often devastating, resulting in serious injuries and fatalities, the government heavily regulates the trucking industry. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has numerous rules and regulations that strictly monitor hours and service, maintenance, cargo loading, drug testing, insurance coverage, and licensing.
Causes of truck accidents
According to an FMSCA study, the most critical reasons that truck drivers cause accidents include:
- Non-performance. Physical impairment for any reason, such as a heart attack, seizure, or falling asleep.
- Recognition. Inattentive or distracted driving that result in a failure to observe.
- Decision. Poor judgment, such as following other vehicles too closely, driving too fast for road conditions, or miscalculating other drivers’ vehicle speed.
- Performance. Poor control, such as overcompensation, panicking, or bad direction.
The FMCSA also listed these causes for truck accidents, which are in descending order of the most frequent occurrences:
- Brake problems
- Traffic flow interruption (traffic congestion, previous crash)
- Prescription drug use
- Traveling too fast for conditions
- Unfamiliarity with roadway
- Roadway problems
- Required to stop before crash (traffic signal, crosswalk)
- Over-the-counter drug use
- Inadequate surveillance
Serious representation for serious injuries
If you are seriously injured in a truck crash, an El Paso trucking accident lawyer can investigate for causes, identify sources of compensation, and hold liable parties accountable. At Guerra & Farah, PLLC our attorneys have an in-depth knowledge of trucking regulations and have successfully handled truck accident cases for more than 20 years.
Arrange a free consultation by calling (866) 529-6606. Or contact us online.